In summertime, your biggest concern should be about having enough food for your deck party, and not how to handle high utility bills, a rotted deck, or a broken appliance. Prevention is the key to summer home maintenance in St. George. When you inspect and fix little issues you see, you can guard against bigger, more expensive projects going forward. Here’s 3 home maintenance tips for summer that will keep you in control of your house’s maintenance before larger problems occur.
1. Increase Your Home’s Energy Efficiency
Summer is one of the best times in St. George to work on your home’s energy efficiency in order to keep the heat out and lower your energy bills. Start by checking your doors and windows for leaks that let air in. Put weatherstripping on doors or replace broken weatherstripping if you feel air passing through. Inspect your windows’ caulking for any cracks or missing pieces and replace it as needed.
Putting up energy efficient window treatments like plantation shutters is another way to reduce your utility bill - and perhaps even get a tax credit. Polywood® faux wood plantation shutters minimize the transfer of air through the glass in your windows. They’re 70% more energy efficient than normal wooden shutters and 1600% more energy efficient than aluminum blinds which are found in many homes.
2. Enhance Your Decks And Patios
If you’re planning on hosting parties on your porch or patio this summer, ensure it’s ready for your guests. First, inspect your patio or deck for safety. Look underneath to see if there are any supports, boards, or stairs that need to be replaced because they’re broken and can’t bear weight. Give your patio and deck a fresh look and guard it against the summer sun and rain by staining or sealing it.
Once you’ve fixed any soft boards and areas and stained your patio, it’s time for the fun part: dressing it up. Make your windows and doors adjacent to your deck and porch more beautiful by installing window treatments such as sidelight shutters or plantation shutters for your french door or sliding doors. Then make your porch or patio a haven by bringing in your favorite patio furniture or perhaps even a fire pit. Landscape around your porch or patio to make it more colorful.
3. Maintain Large Appliances
Appliances that are broken or leak can put a damper on your fun summer plans. Here’s some things to watch out for with your major appliances to keep them running smoothly:
● Refrigerator. Clogged refrigerator coils can increase your utility bill by making your fridge work harder. It’s easy to clean and vacuum them out. Start by unplugging your refrigerator and then use the crevice tool on your vacuum (or a coil cleaning brush attachment) to remove all the lint and dirt from the coils.
● Dishwasher. Check your dishwasher for any lines that are leaking or backed up water. Then deodorize it and give it a deep clean by running a cycle with a cup of vinegar. You’ll also want to empty and clean the filter (which is underneath the spray arms in most models) with soap and water.
● Washer and dryer. Inspect your washing machine hoses for any bulges, cracks, or leaks. If necessary, replace the hoses. You should clean out your dryer hose and exterior vent annually or pay a professional to do the job.
Enjoy Your Summer
By keeping on top of your home and appliances, you can have a pleasant summer. If you’re interested in giving your home a beautiful look this season with window treatments for your patios, dining rooms, or living rooms, browse through our idea gallery and then call us for a free in-home consultation at 435-485-9332. We’ll show you all your window treatment options in St. George and do all the work and installation so you can just relax and enjoy your summer.